Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about.

30 August 2007

all hands on deck

I can tell I'm really busy when I can't quite figure out when, within the space of a week or two, I'll be able to do laundry. Certainly I'm not one to read a book about the seven habits of highly successful people, or care about those habits or even those people, but if I were a betting man I'd say those people habitually keep a washer and dryer in their residences. It would save me a lot of time, anyway.

I'm in rehearsals for Copenhagen now, and it's difficult in the best way possible. Tonight was a long night, over four hours of blocking dense material on a unit set. I told the cast that they're the most enjoyable cast I've had to work with since the last time I had a cast as enjoyable to work with as they, and I meant that in the best way possible too. It's astonishing and tragic to me that such talented people will work for so little money. It's twice as much as we paid anyone a year ago, but it's still peanuts. I'm working for peanuts, too, but the production company is my company, which ostensibly holds my future. For these fine folks, it would seem to be all about the love of the work.

A strange thing about rehearsals, though. I'd rather be in rehearsal than do just about any of the other stuff that's filling my time these days. But tomorrow I have office hours at NCStage and then an afternoon preparing for immediate theatre project's inaugural meeting of the Board of Trustees which takes place tomorrow night (there's a lot of preparing to do, and there's also that laundry), and somewhere in there is a trip to the printers and some shopping for the set; and yet I'm anticipating it like a day at the beach because it's a day without rehearsal.

My point is just that it's strange to relish so deeply a day off from the thing I love doing most. But then I'm also a great believer in incubation, and a day off from rehearsal is a lot more productive than a day off from bartending.

I could go on, maybe pull out my pocket PC and show you just how busy I am these days as indicated by the appointments on my calendar, but I won't. Instead I'm going to take 45 minutes of personal time and watch an episode of The West Wing (season 4), have a beer and go to bed.

5 Comments:

Blogger Reid said...

I can already see places you can multi-task. For instance, have a beer while you're watching the West Wing and do some laundry at the same time! If that's too much all at once, just drink the beer at the Board of Trustees meeting.

30 August 2007 at 08:00:00 GMT-4

 
Blogger doug said...

what you should do is have text files on your pocket pc do the laundry for you. oh!

30 August 2007 at 08:54:00 GMT-4

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought you lived in Asheville, where clothes are pretty much optional? Dude, just body paint yourself some clean clothes, man...

30 August 2007 at 10:01:00 GMT-4

 
Blogger Hans said...

Reid: Beer and TV don't mix. Everyone knows that.

Dug & Xbox: I think the obvious solution would be to print out all of the text files on my desktop and sew them together into garments. But I just don't have the time.

30 August 2007 at 14:17:00 GMT-4

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why has it taken me so long to find your blog? I don't know, either.

It was great to see you in Greensboro a few weeks ago, and that the company is doing so well.

Why am I commenting all the way back here? Because the subject line caught my eye as a West Wing line from Season 7 (ugh) and then it ends with you watching something Season 4ish. A little Inauguration, anyone? :)

2 January 2008 at 09:54:00 GMT-5

 

Post a Comment

<< Home