Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about.

25 July 2007

now it's my rights versus yours

Okay, let me just get this off my chest first: when there's one out left in the game, why can't the Braves just go ahead and get the out? I mean instead of blowing a four-run lead?

Anyway, so far (although here we go into extra innings) Smoltzie and Hudson have been able to keep Bonds's home run bat silent, and I'm glad about that. I'd like it if Bonds didn't break the record against Hank Aaron's old team. Baseball is nothing if not sentimental. I also fantasized recently about a conspiracy among MLB pitchers wherein Bonds is no longer pitched to after #754. No matter what. Wouldn't that be a sight.

But: never let it be said that I can't be swayed by a few well written editorial pieces, like, for example, this one. Over the past couple of weeks I've found a grudging respect for the man. I mean, there's the whole innocent-until-proven-guilty thing. But then there's the obvious mutual respect I saw between Smoltz and Bonds last night, and the fact that, whatever the circumstances may be, the guy has done something that no one in history has done.

And so I'm thrilled to get four nights off in a row during this series so I can watch him if not break the record then at least edge even closer to it. Of course I want the Braves to shut him down because I want them to win, as they need to close the gap with the Mets and open it with the Phillies; but if he hits a home run or two along the way, I won't be able to help being, conflictedly, slightly, in awe.

2 Comments:

Blogger Reid said...

I really have mixed feelings on Bonds. There will always be an asterisk by his name, but...he's still done it. Plenty of people took steroids and didn't get to near the level he has. So I guess that maybe he's not one of the greatest baseball players ever, but he is, without a doubt, one of the greatest steroid-takers of all time.

25 July 2007 at 07:51:00 GMT-4

 
Blogger Fearless Leader said...

He'll break Aaron's record before the season is out. But the asterisk will be there. And that asterisk will lead to a footnote. And that footnote will say, "Yeah, but he's an asshole."

25 July 2007 at 09:48:00 GMT-4

 

Post a Comment

<< Home