Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about.

25 April 2007

so you think you can tell heaven from hell

Geek news gets more and more terrifying. Today it's headphones that turn into robots.

But they're just toys, you say. Sure. Sure they are. Are they?

It's not just geek news, either. You may not have noticed this pattern, but my keen eyes have observed that every summer, like clockwork, Hollywood has a grand new blockbuster predictor of our doom - fictionalized, yes, but based solidly in reality. The reality of aliens destroying the planet, say, or the reality of an asteroid destroying the planet, or the reality of giant Japanese lizards destroying the planet, or the reality of global warming-cum-freezing destroying the planet. Are you seeing the pattern yet? These films bring prophecies of boats flipped upside-down, mild-mannered heartthrobs turned into spiders, Al Gores showing slide shows of their vacations, secret agents playing cards: the future is not an attractive place. This year, it's everyday objects that turn into robots. And destroy the planet.

But it's just a movie, you say, and a freakin' Michael Bay movie at that! Sure. Sure it is. Is it?

My point is simply this: I don't like the idea of everyday objects turning into robots. I really don't. Admittedly, my developing psyche was scarred at an early age by images of killer Coke machines, but think about it: if anything can be a robot, how can anything be trusted? Here's just one example: if your laptop is in danger of exploding, the battery gets recalled and you send it back. But if your laptop is in danger of eating you, a recall will never work because even if you survive the attack, you won't be able send the laptop back because it will sprout rocket legs and fly away.

Do you begin to see my point? A movie like The Transformers is peddled as pure entertainment, but we really should stop and think about the future it portends. I say to you, it's an ugly future indeed.

Ultimately, of course, the blame lies not on toy companies, not on electronics manufacturers, not even on Michael Bay. We all know where robots come from, but most of us are either too ignorant or too frightened to speak up. Well, I will be silent no longer. I know I'm not the only one who's ever said this, but by God I'll repeat it until someone listens: What about robots? I don't even know why the scientists make them!

1 Comments:

Blogger Reid said...

Were do robots come from then? Is this one of those "when a man and a woman love each other very much" scenarios?

I choose to see the positive: if my laptop might potentially eat me, there's NO WAY I'm going into work.

26 April 2007 at 07:59:00 GMT-4

 

Post a Comment

<< Home