Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about.

13 February 2006

and out on the street are so many possibilities to not be alone

Another record that comes to mind when I consider my favorite album of 2005 is Death Cab for Cutie's Plans.



It probably would have been easier for the entire band to commit ritual suicide than try to follow up the masterstroke that was Transatlanticism. But try they did, and it turns out it wasn't a complete waste of time. To be sure, I was disappointed at first, and there were a couple of songs that I flat out didn't like. But they grew on me, as things do (I am covered in growths, yes yes), and if ask the iTunes gods what I listened to most in 2005, this album is right up at the top, especially the opener "Marching Bands of Manhattan" and the guitarist-penned "Brothers on a Hotel Bed" (his first songwriting contribution). The highs aren't *quite* as high, and the consistency isn't as, uh, consistent, but Plans is about as worthy a successor to Transatlanticism as anyone could ask for.

2 Comments:

Blogger Reid said...

What's up with that album cover, though? It's not exactly a bold, confident statment. It's kind of hard to be initially impressed with any album whose cover only says, "Enh."

13 February 2006 at 16:00:00 GMT-5

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever heard the Photo Album, Transatlanticism's predecessor? It's still my fave of the bunch. In fact, if I had to write a review for Transatlanticism, it would pretty much read just like your review for Plans. As for Plans, I was really disappointed. I've since come around on bits of it, especially Marching Bands of Manhattan. Kinda sucks though when an album's absolute apex is it's first song. (It's an amazing song though.)

14 February 2006 at 10:34:00 GMT-5

 

Post a Comment

<< Home