Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about.

10 November 2005

counting backwards, i count you in

Here's the thing about that red-new-black guy: he and I used to drive from Greensboro across the border to Virginia just to buy lottery tickets. It's about a 45-minute drive each way, and for a while there we did it every couple of weeks or so. It was fun, although we had to be careful right around the state line, because certain types of people are rumored to hang around there, and we wanted to avoid any confrontation. Anyhoo, we'd play a bunch of scratch offs - they were available both out of vending machines and from behind the counter at this particular outlet, oh it was fancy all right - and maybe buy a couple of lotto or big game tickets to take back home with us and stoke our dreams. And here's how it always went: I would end up about $20 poorer, and red-new-black would end up $50 to $100 richer. Without fail. And now look what happens: the kid goes and wins himself a fancy new video game system without lifting a finger, at least not one that he can remember. I dunno, the guy must be living right.

In other news: Bela Lugosi's dead. I saw Bauhaus at the Vic last night. They're pretty old, but they still ooze cool and put on a great show. I couldn't shake the feeling that it all seemed to lack relevance, though. I'm sure it was mind-blowing to see that kind of spectacle 23 years or so ago, but seeing it now is kind of like going to the coolest rock and roll museum ever. That doesn't mean I didn't buy a t-shirt, though.

2 Comments:

Blogger d-lee said...

Oh yeah.... I forgot. When I got fired and took a couple of weeks downtime/vacation, and I drove up to DC, I won $56 in the scratch-off game.
That was pretty sweet.

New York has never been as kind to me as Virginia has. I lost about $30 to the New York Lottery Commission on one weekend last year.
Indiana once gave me $3, which I never collected, and that's about all I can remember.

In fairness, I did have to enter some 10-digit code on a website to win the XBOX. I hope they make missile command for that platform. Or pong. That would be sweet.

11 November 2005 at 13:43:00 GMT-5

 
Blogger d-lee said...

Did they play "Double Dare"? I think more than "Bela Lugosi's Dead" I'd love to see that song performed live. With all the smoke and lasers and shit.
What was the crowd like? Our age, or are the kids into Bauhaus these days?

11 November 2005 at 13:54:00 GMT-5

 

Post a Comment

<< Home