Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about.

30 January 2008

the coffee isn't even bitter

Just saw Darjeeling Limited, finally. I love Wes Anderson films, so why do I wait so long to see them? I've never seen one on opening weekend, and I waited so long to see Rushmore that it was ruined for me by all the hype. On the other hand, I waited years to see Life Aquatic, and I think it might have been sweetened for me by all the mixed reviews. Anyway, I liked this one as much as Royal Tenenbaums and maybe as much as Life Aquatic.

One thing that I found a little strange, though, was the iPod evolution happening silently before my eyes. I noticed the iPod right off because the first time Jack used it there were those pretty glowing red touch-button thingys from back around the 2nd or 3rd generation, yet when he touched the buttons there were audible clicks. Ooh, bad foley work! I thought. But the next time he used it, which happened in the very same scene, it had a click wheel and no red touch-button thingys. Suddenly the clicks made sense, but the issue now was continuity. Oh well, not a big deal, I'm sure things are crazy on Wes Anderson sets and these things happen. There's even an entry about it in the continuity goofs section on imdb.

But! At the end of the film, the last iPod he used was clearly a video iPod. Which makes me wonder if it was on purpose, because a) the use of a pre-click wheel iPod seems like a pretty specific choice; 2) the first iPod change happens within a single scene, and the very first one in the film, at that; and III) as the film progresses, so does the iPod, that is we don't see a 4th gen and then a 2nd gen and then a 5th, but the iPods occur in order of their evolution. Also, it seems like something Wes Anderson might do just because he feels like it.

Now if you were thinking while reading this that I'm a huge geek, well, no one could blame you, and I assure you that I got more out of the film than that. In fact, I'd like to see it again soon, and it sort of made me want to watch Life Aquatic and Bottle Rocket again, and if you haven't seen it I think you should.

But seriously, what's with the iPods, Wes?

P.S. (Post Song): Nada Surf - The Film Did Not Go Round

8 Comments:

Blogger Reid said...

The Natalie Portman in the film was definitely not first generation. *gulp*

30 January 2008 at 08:05:00 GMT-5

 
Blogger doug said...

Hey, how about a "spoiler-about-the- use-of-ipods-in-this-film alert" next time buddy?! some of us haven't seen it yet!

Naw, I need to see this though - dunno why I didn't. Speaking of an Anderson, have you seen "There Will Be Blood" yet?

30 January 2008 at 09:27:00 GMT-5

 
Blogger Hans said...

Oh man, sorry, Dug. I've completely ruined the whole film for you. The iPod evolution is integral to the meaning of the entire film. You probably shouldn't see it.

I haven't seen the other Anderson's reel yet. Wait, who's "the other" Anderson? I think P.T. might come first for me.

30 January 2008 at 09:32:00 GMT-5

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The iPod scene in "There Will Be Blood" was totally awesome.

Oh, and speaking of The Darjeeling Limited...Hans, did they show The Hotel Chevalier beforehand? I hope so...cos not only would Reid's comment make sense but it add's to the depth of the Jason Schwartzman character in Darjeeling.

30 January 2008 at 09:50:00 GMT-5

 
Blogger Hans said...

Yeah, Hotel Chevalier is actually what I'm referring to as the first scene. I consider it the same movie, since the main film was called "Part 2".

30 January 2008 at 09:54:00 GMT-5

 
Blogger Reid said...

Hard to pick an Anderson. They're both kind of in love with themselves, yet still make some pretty great movies. These days, I'd go with PT over Wes, just because I thought There Will Be Blood was pretty fantastic and memorable, whereas I really enjoyed Darjeeling, but it didn't stick with me as well.

Historically, though, I'm totally a Wes man. Rushmore is about my favorite film of all time, and as wanky as his movies have been since then, they're still always inventive. Can't beat the music, too.

30 January 2008 at 11:40:00 GMT-5

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I was searching hard to find someone who got the iPor evolution as I did ... after seeing the movie I was thinking it has to be on all Mac-Sites ...
I think there was no 1G iPod because it would not fit into the Bose speaker and no 4G because it was no significant change at the outside ...

7 March 2008 at 17:53:00 GMT-5

 
Blogger Hans said...

Woo-hoo! Someone else got it! Or it's one of my regular three readers, commenting "anonymously" to make me feel gratified. Either way, I do.

7 March 2008 at 22:29:00 GMT-5

 

Post a Comment

<< Home