Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about.

12 June 2007

i have scaled these city walls

So Apple released a Safari 3 beta for Windows. A guy over at Wired wants to know who in their right mind would run Safari on Windows, and I can see his point. Right mind or not, though, I installed it and have been playing with it a little, and it doesn't seem like the crappy Safari he's talking about. It's a nice browser as far as I can tell, faster than Firefox or IE7, and pretty; the text box I'm typing in right now has that glowing blue outline that puts Mac users everywhere at ease, safe in the knowledge that technology is gentle and welcoming and made just for them.

But it's not the panacea browser I'm hoping for. These days I use three browsers, each for different reasons. Opera is my default; it doesn't cover all my needs because of compliance issues, but it's fast and lightweight and has cool and useful features like speed dial, a page of 9 thumbnails of the sites I visit most often. But it won't work very well for baseball sites or the Continental employee reservation pages. IE7 is the only browser Quickbooks will let me use, so there's no getting away from it, but otherwise I can take it or leave it. Baseball radio broadcasts stream well enough, but no better than Firefox. Firefox has some great plugins like the one that lets me see thumbnails of Google search results, and it will search text while I type (Opera does too, and more elegantly at that), but it's bloated and slow to load.

And Safari comes up short in a few places, too: I can't open a new tab by double-clicking the tab bar, I can't enable pop-ups for specific sites (which means no baseball audio feeds without opening my whole browser up to pop-ups telling me that if the link is flashing I've won something special), and I can't search for text as I type. And it's got that stupid Apple thing going on that only lets me resize the window from the bottom right corner instead of any window edge, which is especially annoying when a link opens in a new window that's halfway off my screen, so I have to pull it up first and then resize it. Why would anybody want that?

I could go on about this stuff but it'd be even more boring than it already is, but the short of it is that Safari is nice but it won't replace anything for me and I don't relish the idea of using yet another browser in addition to the other three. Can't someone just make a browser that is fast, lightweight, has the features I want, and works with all the sites I need it to work with?

3 Comments:

Blogger doug said...

yeah, I'm playing with it right now - it's okay. It's like an iTunes browser. And 2 things I don't get about Apple: that resize issue, and resistance to having 2 buttons on a mouse.

I still use Firefox 95% of the time, but it has gotten bloated and has some bugs that really annoy me (which could just be me - I dunno) - sometimes when I'm typing, I must hit something which makes using this character: ' impossible - it toggles the search bar or something at the bottom of the browser. Argh! But, Firefox is nice for web development with it's handy-dandy javascript console and such, but they do seem to add more and more junk to it.

12 June 2007 at 12:43:00 GMT-4

 
Blogger Hans said...

Here are some other things people have to say:

Safari for Windows - Do we really need another browser?

Safari For Windows: Six Security Exploits In One Afternoon

Windows Users Don't Care About Safari

Which brings me to another question: Who are these tech writers? Do they actually use the technology in question, or do they just comment on the press releases? I ask because all three other major browsers allow you to rearrange tabs (Opera 9 even lets you drag a tag to a toolbar to create a hot shortcut button), yet these guys are trumpeting Apple's claim that it's a standout feature.

Anyway, with further tinkering, I've discovered that Safari works great with Google Docs, but it's buggy as hell with Google Calendar. Just so you know.

12 June 2007 at 14:03:00 GMT-4

 
Blogger Reid said...

As a Mac user, I don't get it. I stopped using Safari a long time ago. It's faster and it looks better, but that's it. To me, using Safari is about like using Netscape circa 2000. There's so many web apps that don't work right in it that the only reason to use it is that you're stubborn or lazy. Firefox is slower, but at least I know things are going to work on it, and being (more or less) open source gives me a lot more confidence that it'll get better faster.

Point being that I make fun of Mac users who use Safari.

15 June 2007 at 08:17:00 GMT-4

 

Post a Comment

<< Home